Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Practice, Passion, and Piano

I am a creature of habit. I feel comfortable in a routine that can involve daily rituals that most efficiently balance my time with my activities. However, it is very important to me that I always make the best of my routine and not get caught simply “going through the motions” of my day, or losing the passion that fuels my existence. In Alice McDermott’s reading, as well as in Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, we find passion, eloquence, and inspiration, although it is apparent in both my routine and in Shakespeare, that passion cannot always be clearly defined.
After a brief introduction from Fr. Linnane S.J, McDermott told a story of an elderly couple in an apartment building. In an apartment above the couple, a young boy practiced the piano everyday at the same time. The couple enjoyed this part of the young boy’s routine, and began to make listening to his piano practice part of their daily routine. They truly appreciated the music and enjoyed taking time out of the day to listen, relax, and be together. Music is something that has always personally collided with my routine. I love music and have always dabbled in playing instruments. As a child I hated the piano and took lessons. This part of my daily ritual had no passion, and I was just “going through the motions”, much like Duke Orsino and his love for Lady Olivia. Orsino is caught up in being in love that he is not truly passionate towards Olivia. In my childhood, I was always passionate about sports and let music stay in the background. If it was a part of my daily ritual, it was forced and not enjoyed.
As McDermott continued the story, the woman from the couple was eventually able to meet the young boy and ask him questions. These questions showed just how much the couple’s mind wandered as they listened to the boy play. The music guided the couple on a measure of thought that cascaded through different instruments of life. They wondered what kind of piano the boy played, if he enjoyed it, what kind of music he liked, and many more questions, not just about the boy, but about the piano, music, and life.
My appreciation for piano, music, and life has grown with age. As I quit the piano lessons, I began to like piano more and more, and developed a self-taught passion for the instrument that is now a part of my daily ritual. Whether appreciated my own music, or the music of others, it is something that fuels my existence: it is my passion.
After finishing this anecdote, Alice McDermott went to talk about her passion for writing and her inspirations, such as this story. She also highlighted the Jesuits and her minimal exposure to the Society of Jesus (Her son attended a Jesuit high school). It is with the Jesuits that she relates the eloquence. Eloquence comes from the education they give students. I whole-heartedly agree with this assessment, and I believe that through eloquence comes confidence, and with confidence, we are easily able to be inspired and recognize what inspires us. Whether we are inspired by music, love, or writing, our vocation is life is what Jesuit education is here to help us find.