Wednesday, April 25, 2007

As the semester comes to a close, I had the opportunity to volunteer once more at the Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital and additionally at the Year of the City Health Fair hosted by Loyola last Thursday April 19th. Despite being busy beginning studying for finals I still realize the importance of staying involved and doing my part. While schedules become hectic and my stress level increases, causing a tendency for me to focus on myself, I find that volunteering helps to keep me in check with the world around me.
In reflection, my experiences at Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital have been nothing short of eye-opening—raising my awareness of the kinds of struggles that both young, helpless children and their concerned parents must endure. What always amazes me when I walk through the doors of the hospital is the kindness with which all volunteers, patients, and parents are greeted. Furthermore, at other hospitals that I have volunteered at, there was a limit as to the patient to volunteer interaction. Previously, I acted as a gopher—doing errands for the nurses. While I know my duties certainly helped the nurses in the ICU at Kenmore Mercy Hospital in Buffalo, NY, my experiences at Mt. Washington allowed me to truly interact with the patients. I realized that I was doing more than just busy work. Instead, I could actually help to better the patient’s health and make their stay more pleasant during what can be a very unpleasant time.
Tuesday was my last day to visit the babies in the unit. I was fortunate enough to help a nurse calm twin boys who were anxious and upset lying in their isolate chambers. I always find it remarkable to watch the kind of responses that even the youngest babies give to caregiver involvement. Following this, I had the final opportunity to work with a child on a ventilator. Unable to fully breathe on their own, vent patients need the most attention of all. While disabled by the machines, many of these babies are the most playful of the bunch, yearning for attention. Playing with a baby girl on a vent, I also watched the young mother next to me suction her child’s vent tubes. Watching their struggle made me realize that, unlike I who am fortunate enough to live without the help of a machine, this mother and her child will most likely never be able to live a ‘normal’ life. It is when I am working with these patients that I find the most humbling perspectives and I learn to appreciate my health and life. Though I am sad to see my experience come to an end, I look forward to next year when hopefully I can further assist more patients and their families and establish relationships with them.
Working with these patients at Mt. Washington helps me to fulfill my idea of Jesuit education which includes helping someone every chance that I get. I found another opportunity to help others last week when I volunteered at the Health Fair. In the beginning I worked blowing up balloons and distributing them around McGuire Hall, I also worked at the registration desk, helping to sign in many healthcare companies from the Baltimore area who are here to inform the community of ways to maintain and improve their health status. Bringing together all members of the community, the Health Fair offered everyone things from free massages to free aids testing. I was truly amazed at the number of people that showed up to the Fair. Not only were there many Loyola students, faculty and staff visiting, the event was open to the community. School children from within the Baltimore area were also invited to come. As one community, it is important that information and the availability of health standards be known. Since all of us are prone to health illness throughout our lifetimes, we need to be informed about current health issues that could possibly affect all of us at one point or another. This seemed to be a main goal of the Health Fair.
Being involved throughout the year at Mt. Washington and last week at the Health Fair has helped to make several of the ideas that we explored in class this year come alive. In Whale Rider and other poems, we defined and analyzed several boundaries that are present in society. During my work at the hospital and the health fair, I saw one of the boundaries being broken down. As understood through the Jane Jacob’s article and the messages communicated by guest speakers, there is an issue within Baltimore City. The divide between rich and poor is increasing. The hospital and events like the Health Fair work to mend this divide. Being a student at Loyola has given me the opportunity to realize that applications of my education are present throughout the city around me and through my volunteer work, I have been able to become a part of the city myself.